Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Clean up the #include mess a little.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu>, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Clean up the #include mess a little.
Date: 2011-09-05 15:07:12
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of lun sep 05 11:02:23 -0300 2011:
> On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 15:55, Greg Stark <stark(at)mit(dot)edu> wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 5, 2011 at 2:52 PM, Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us> wrote:
> >> Well, I assume we are done for another five years.  The includes removed
> >> were minimal, especially considering five years of work.
> >
> > What I wouldn't mind seeing is a graph of all includes and what they
> > include. This might help figure out what layering violations there are
> > like the one that caused this mess. I think I've seen tools to do this
> > already somewhere.
>
> http://doxygen.postgresql.org will do some of that, but I think not
> globally - but if you click into one header, I think it shows you the
> map from that perspective.

Yeah; and it isn't always complete, because some graphs tend to get too
unwieldy so it has to prune (you can see this because some nodes show up
with red borders).

I am not sure it is really feasible to build a complete graph for all
headers. We have too many of them and too many dependencies.

Another useful graph to see is what files include a given header. A
funny thing is that doxygen doesn't always display this; for example
http://doxygen.postgresql.org/rel_8h.html