Re: Why doesn't psql use the information schema to get ACL description ?

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Dave Cramer <pg(at)fastcrypt(dot)com>
Cc: PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Why doesn't psql use the information schema to get ACL description ?
Date: 2011-08-23 18:57:28
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tis, 2011-08-23 at 12:48 -0400, Dave Cramer wrote:
> Recently a bug was reported on the JDBC list regarding table
> privileges. It turns out that we have not been parsing the ACL tables
> correctly. This is partially due to having to track the catalogs
> through each version. So this breaks down into two questions
>
> 1) is it possible to get all of the ACL data from the information_schema ?
> 2) If so why doesn't psql use these tables ?
>
> Ultimately my ulterior motive is to make sure the information schema
> is actually useful and ensure that it maintains that status.

The information schema only exposes privileges defined in the SQL
standard on objects defined in the SQL standard. So psql or any tool
that wants to provide information on PostgreSQL-specific features can't
use that. But perhaps the JDBC interfaces only expose certain standard
information anyway, so it could be useful. Depends on the details,
though.