Re: memory-related bugs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Bruce Momjian <bruce(at)momjian(dot)us>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: memory-related bugs
Date: 2011-09-05 19:32:01
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Did we conclude any of these were useful?
> http://archives.postgresql.org/pgsql-hackers/2011-03/msg00856.php
> I know there were concerns about some of them in the thread.

Hmm, I guess this slipped through the cracks. I thought that avoiding
memcpy(x, x, n) was unnecessary, and I had doubts about the style of
some of the other changes, but I think we do need to avoid accessing
past the defined end of a data structure. We've seen cases in the past
where one day that structure is right up against the end of memory and
you get a SIGSEGV; there's no good reason to believe it cannot happen
in these places.