Re: Recovery inconsistencies, standby much larger than primary

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Josh Berkus <josh(at)agliodbs(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Recovery inconsistencies, standby much larger than primary
Date: 2014-02-01 05:46:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> FWIW, we've periodically seen reports from our clients of replica
> databases being slightly larger than the master. Nothing reproducable
> or as severe as Greg's issue, or we'd have reported it. But this could
> be a more widespread issue, just that it affects most users in the +5%
> ballpark, so they don't notice.

Well, the "bloat" aspect of it is really the least of our problems.
AFAICT what is happening is flat-out index corruption, that is, an
intended update isn't applied where it should be but to some
seemingly-random other page. If this is common then it seems like we
ought to be hearing a lot of reports of query misbehavior on slaves.