Re: [HACKERS] [bug-fix] Cannot select big bytea values (~600MB)

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Anna Akenteva <a(dot)akenteva(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] [bug-fix] Cannot select big bytea values (~600MB)
Date: 2018-02-16 14:58:29
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Anna Akenteva <a(dot)akenteva(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> [ widen StringInfoData max length to size_t ]

I find this scary as heck. Have you spent any time looking at the
side effects? There are probably hundreds of places that expect that
stringinfos won't get larger than 1GB.

Also, I don't entirely see how this fixes your stated goal of being
able to select a bytea value whose textual representation exceeds
1GB. The wire protocol can't support that either, and even if it did,
I wonder how many client programs could cope. Extremely wide tuple
values create pain points in many places.

> And as it seems like quite a serious issue, would it be possible to
> backport a fix for it to earlier versions?

Since this is an ABI break with very widely visible effects, there is
no chance whatsoever that it would be back-patched.