Re: Declarative partitioning vs. sql_inheritance

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Dmitry Ivanov <d(dot)ivanov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>, Michael Paquier <michael(dot)paquier(at)gmail(dot)com>, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>, Erik Rijkers <er(at)xs4all(dot)nl>, Amit Langote <amitlangote09(at)gmail(dot)com>, Amit Langote <Langote_Amit_f8(at)lab(dot)ntt(dot)co(dot)jp>, Rajkumar Raghuwanshi <rajkumar(dot)raghuwanshi(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Ashutosh Bapat <ashutosh(dot)bapat(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Pg Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers-owner(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Declarative partitioning vs. sql_inheritance
Date: 2016-12-16 16:26:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> An earlier version of Amit's patches tried to handle this by forcing
> sql_inheritance on for partitioned tables, but it wasn't
> well-implemented and I don't see the point anyway. Sure, turning off
> sql_inheritance off for partitioned tables produces stupid results.
> But turning off sql_inheritance for inheritance hierarchies also
> produces stupid results. If we were going to do anything about this,
> my vote would be to remove sql_inheritance.

+1. If memory serves, we invented that GUC as a backwards-compatibility
hack, because once upon a time the default behavior was equivalent to
sql_inheritance = off. But that was a long time ago; a bit of digging
in the git history suggests we changed it in 2000. It's hard to believe
that anybody still relies on being able to turn it off.