Re: BUG #6086: Segmentation fault

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: noordsij <noordsij(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi>, Pg Bugs <pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: BUG #6086: Segmentation fault
Date: 2011-07-25 15:57:59
Lists: pgsql-bugs

Excerpts from Robert Haas's message of lun jul 25 11:20:55 -0400 2011:
> On Sun, Jul 24, 2011 at 5:06 PM, noordsij <noordsij(at)cs(dot)helsinki(dot)fi> wrote:
> >> Any idea what query triggered this?
> >
> > Only up to which stored procedure (which itself contains multiple
> > statements).
>
> If you provide a reproducible test case, we can probably get this fixed.
>
> Otherwise, we probably can't.

But why is libxml calling pthread_mutex_lock and such? Unless libxml is
making itself multithread inside a backend, that shouldn't matter --
much less cause a crash.

Note (to the OP) that it's totally unexpected to have a Postgres backend
become multithreaded, and has been shown to be dangerous when a library
made it so.