Re: pg_dump dump catalog ACLs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Stephen Frost <sfrost(at)snowman(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: pg_dump dump catalog ACLs
Date: 2016-03-01 04:06:55
Lists: pgsql-hackers

>> To make this work, you'd need a way to distinguish privileges installed
>> by initdb from those changed later.

> To replicate whatever the current ACL is, we don't actually need to
> make such a differentiation. I'm not against doing so, but the only
> point of it would be to eliminate a few extra lines being dumped out
> which re-run those commands that initdb runs on restore.

No, the point of it would be to not have pg_dump scripts overriding
installed-by-default ACLs. A newer PG version might have different
ideas about what those should be. I don't think this is exactly an
academic concern, either: wouldn't a likely outcome of your default-roles
work be that some built-in functions have different initial ACLs than
they do today? Good luck with that, if pg_upgrade overwrites those
ACLs with the previous-version values.