Re: pgAdmin III commit: Database Designer (milestone 1 of GSoC 2011)

From: Guillaume Lelarge <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info>
To: Dave Page <dpage(at)pgadmin(dot)org>
Cc: pgadmin-hackers <pgadmin-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgAdmin III commit: Database Designer (milestone 1 of GSoC 2011)
Date: 2011-07-14 17:34:47
Lists: pgadmin-hackers

On Thu, 2011-07-14 at 14:46 +0200, Guillaume Lelarge wrote:
> On Sun, 2011-07-03 at 09:15 +0100, Dave Page wrote:
> > On Sat, Jul 2, 2011 at 2:09 PM, Guillaume Lelarge
> > <guillaume(at)lelarge(dot)info> wrote:

> > > OK, I've done some work on this.
> > >
> > > Linux prep steps
> > >
> > > * install Python (with your distro package manager)
> > > * install the python easy_install module
> > > * install Sphinx (should be as easy as "easy_install -U Sphinx)
> > >
> > > Windows prop steps
> > >
> > > * download http://www.python.org/ftp/python/2.7.2/python-2.7.2.msi
> > > * install python-2.7.2.msi
> > > * download
> > > http://pypi.python.org/packages/2.7/s/setuptools/setuptools-0.6c11.win32-py2.7.exe#md5=57e1e64f6b7c7f1d2eddfc9746bbaf20
> > > * install setuptools-0.6c11.win32-py2.7.exe
> > > * include C:\Python27\Scripts in %path%
> > > * in cmd, type "easy_install.exe -U Sphinx"
> > >
> > > Mac OS X prep steps
> > >
> > > I already had Python and the easy_install module, so I just had to
> > > install Sphinx with the usual command ("easy_install -U Sphinx")
> > >
> > > Windows Visual Studio project changes
> > >
> > > It should be quite simple. We simply need to change the Docs project so
> > > that it launches the "make html" command instead of the "builddocs.bat".
> > > We'll also have to add all the rst files in this project.
> > >
> > > Linux, and Mac OS X Makefile
> > >
> > > This should also be quite simple. We only need to change the Makefile so
> > > that it calls the Make in the docs directory.
> > >
> > > If it seems good enough for you, I'll update the rst filess with the new
> > > changes. I'll update the build system. And creates one big patch for all
> > > of this. OK?
> >
> > OK.
> >

> Update on the files done. You can find that preliminary work on
> https://github.com/gleu/pgadmin3/tree/docs (branch name is docs).
>
> I still need to work on the build system.

OK. Instead of working on the build system, I worked a bit on the
template system. We should be able to do what we want. I'm not sure we
really need to do this now, as ideas and needs will come during the
writing of the manual.

But I still have to work on the build system. I'll try to change the
Windows build system this evening.

BTW, I tried to build a PDF file. And it looks great. If you want to
take a look, it's available here:
http://lelarge.info/~guillaume/pgAdminIII.pdf . And you only need "make
latexpdf" to get it. Just amazing :)

--