Re: psql with "Function Type" in \df

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org>
Cc: PG Hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: psql with "Function Type" in \df
Date: 2009-04-14 16:35:21
Lists: pgsql-hackers

David Fetter <david(at)fetter(dot)org> writes:
> On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 07:24:31PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
>> I'd go for something like
>>
>> Type
>>
>> window
>> agg
>> trigger
>> normal
>>
>> Or we could spell out "aggregate", but that makes the column a
>> couple of characters wider ...

> Done.

I had a second thought about that: presumably we should make the
function type names translatable. If we do that, it might be better
to make the aggregate case be "aggregate" and take the width hit.
Otherwise translators are going to be puzzled when they come across
"agg" as a translatable phrase.

Or maybe I'm overthinking that problem. Comments from anyone who
actually does translations?

> I've also added \df[antw], which lets people narrow their search.

Why didn't you make it work like \d[tisv], ie allow more than one
letter? If you're going to be inventing new features at this late
date, they should at least work like the adjacent precedent.