starting on functions (with little succes)

From: Odysseus <bart(dot)pietercil(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: starting on functions (with little succes)
Date: 2011-07-06 16:01:40
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi List,

we are converting from another sql db and I need some assistance on an error
with this function:
create FUNCTION createNewClient(clientName varchar, coreURL varchar,
vs_ip varchar, vs_db varchar, vs_connstring varchar, vs_usr_pw varchar,
lifespanUnitLV int2, lifespan int2 DEFAULT null) RETURNS void
AS $BODY$
declare
aSerial uuid;
lifeSpanUnitPK bigint;

begin
if lifespanUnitLV <> 4 and lifespan is null then
raise exception null_value_not_allowed using hint = 'Lifespan cannot be
null for a lifespanUnitLV different from 4';
end if

set aSerial = select newuuid();

set lifeSpanUnitPK = select tbl_typelistvalues.pkid
from tbl_typelistvalues
join tbl_typelists on tbl_typelistvalues.fk_typelist =
tbl_typelists.pkid
where listvalue = lifespanUnitLV AND typelistname =
'token_lifespan_units';
if lifeSpanUnitPK is null then
raise exception null_value_not_allowed using hint = 'Illegal value for
lifespanUnitLV';
end if
insert into
tbl_clients(vserver_userpw,vserver_ip,vserver_dbname,vserver_connectionstring,client_name,client_serial,client_core_url,token_lifespan,objptr_token_lifespan_unit)
values
(vs_usr_pw,vs_ip,vs_db,vs_connstring,clientName,aSerial,coreURL,lifespan,lifeSpanUnitPtr);

exception
when others then
raise ;
end;
$BODY$
LANGUAGE sql
CALLED ON NULL INPUT
SECURITY INVOKER
IMMUTABLE;

This is rejected by the parser with error:

Error : ERROR: syntax error at or near "uuid"
LINE 5: aSerial uuid;

I am sure this is something basic that I am missing and sure would like to
get some guidance with this issue.

tia,

Bart

^