Re: Patch file questions?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Casey Havenor <casey(at)myzip2it(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch file questions?
Date: 2011-06-29 19:14:06
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Casey Havenor's message of mié jun 29 14:24:11 -0400 2011:

> Problem:
>
> I like many other have come across the inherit issues.
>
> I found the thread here about such issue...
> http://postgresql.1045698.n5.nabble.com/FK-s-to-refer-to-rows-in-inheritance-child-td3287684.html
>
> I grabbed the "fk_inheritance.v1.patch" file and have been trying to install
> it for the last two hours.

I suggest you do not run a patched version of Postgres. The reason this
patch hasn't been included is that it doesn't completely solve the
problem, it might cause others because it hasn't been fully tested, and
to make matters worse, you are on your own if you run a system with it
because we cannot support you if you have weird problems.

Particularly so if you're new to Postgres. Doubly so if you're new to
patching source code.

My advice would be to use some other design that does not involve FKs on
inheritance hierarchies. (Yes, partitioning becomes a hard problem).