Re: pgsql: Fix assorted inconsistencies in GIN opclass support function dec

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru>
Cc: pgsql-committers <pgsql-committers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: pgsql: Fix assorted inconsistencies in GIN opclass support function dec
Date: 2016-05-02 21:09:48
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Alexander Korotkov <a(dot)korotkov(at)postgrespro(dot)ru> writes:
> On Wed, Jan 20, 2016 at 6:32 AM, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us> wrote:
>> contrib/hstore/hstore--1.3.sql | 12 ++++-----
>> contrib/intarray/intarray--1.1.sql | 8 +++---
>> contrib/tsearch2/tsearch2--1.0.sql | 4 +--

> Hmm... Is it correct to change function signatures without extension
> version bump? pg_upgraded clusters would remain with old version of these
> functions. Once we have instances with same extension version but with
> different signatures of its functions, there is no correct way to refer
> these functions in future. I think we should do the version bump in this
> case.

It doesn't really matter, though, because there simply isn't any need to
refer to these functions from SQL. They are only useful as opclass
support functions.

But this is likely moot anyway, because of the need to bump all the
contrib modules' versions in order to install parallel-safety labels on
their functions. (I wonder why that isn't on the open-items list.)