Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fixed string in German translation that causes segfault.

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org>, Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>, PostgreSQL Hackers ML <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Fixed string in German translation that causes segfault.
Date: 2011-06-21 13:36:30
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Magnus Hagander's message of mar jun 21 07:36:05 -0400 2011:
> On Tue, Jun 21, 2011 at 10:20, Michael Meskes <meskes(at)postgresql(dot)org> wrote:
> > On Mon, Jun 20, 2011 at 04:44:20PM -0400, Tom Lane wrote:
> >> My recollection is that the current setup was created mainly so that
> >> translators wouldn't need to be given commit privileges on the main
> >> repo.  Giving them a separate repo to work in might be all right, but
> >> of course whoever does the merges would have to be careful to only
> >> accept changes made to the .po files and not anything else.
> >
> > IIRC this is exactly what git submodules are for. We could do a git archive
> > only for translations as a submodule for our main git. That way translators
> > would only clone the translation git, while we still have the translations in
> > the source tree in the main git. At least this is how I think it works.
>
> AFAIK (but I could be wrong), git submodules requires the files to be
> in *one* subdirectory. Our .po files are distributed all across the
> backend. So we'd have to make (and backpatch) som rather large changes
> in how these things are built in order to use that.

If git submodules are so cool that we still want to use them, maybe we
still can -- can a submodule be submodule of more than one module? If
so, we could create one submodule for each subdir that the translations
are stored in (about 20 currently), and then have a pgtranslation
meta-project that binds them all together as submodules.