Re: problem with update data sets from front ends 8.4, Ubuntu 10.04

From: Dean le Roux <projserve(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-sql(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: problem with update data sets from front ends 8.4, Ubuntu 10.04
Date: 2011-06-01 15:00:41
Lists: pgsql-sql

I installed the recommended JDBC driver. Set it up to connect using Open
office.

Still need to test to see how the queries build now, but problem is that the
access to the database is dramatically slower than using the sdbc.

Is this to be expected.

thanks.

On 05/24/2011 07:58 AM, Dean le Roux wrote:
> Apologise for missing those other questions.
>
> Not sure if it is normal for most queries to not allow for update?
>
> So, when using a prior form designed in OOO3, which allows editing of
> data:
> pq_baseresultset: row index out of range, allowed is 0 to -1, got 0
> In the postgresql dbase a record is added.

So the UI is reporting a problem, but the record is inserted anyway?

> Using extension manager postgresql-sdbc-0.7.6.a.zip

That could be part of the problem.The Postgres SDBC driver is Beta
quality at best. Per the known
issues(http://dba.openoffice.org/drivers/postgresql/index.html#features):

Data modifcation
Modification of data in tables via the UI (e.g. via the beamer window)
is only possible, when your table has a primary key and the primary key
is part of the used select statement (otherwise the OOo framework has no
possibility to find the row again to write the modification).

Updateable resultsets
Updateable resultsets are currently implemented for selects on simple
tables only. Resultsets containing data from multiple tables raise
errors in case a modification is attempted.

#i30059# Updates may fail on tables with non-primary-indexes

I have had better luck using the appropriate JDBC driver for the
Postgres version(http://jdbc.postgresql.org/download.html).

> I never bothered to check the database structure, time constraints, but
> with
> this problem, I am seeing that many foreign keys are not listed. In
> MsAccess
> we used VBA and most times enforced referential integrity through
> relationships, etc. So I am working on this to see if that is a problem.
> We
> have 88 tables, but there are a few mission critical, the other data moves
> slowly,

Foreign keys should not cause what you are seeing. As you say they are
there to enforce referential integrity. What is important is that each
table you want to update have a Primary Key.

> I have most times used webmin to backup postgres db, and used the same to
> do
> the restore after the upgrade. I first create the database in webmin, and
> then
> restore the database, using default settings.

Where there any errors when you did the restore?

--
Adrian Klaver