Re: Splitting up guc.c

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)lists(dot)postgresql(dot)org, Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Subject: Re: Splitting up guc.c
Date: 2022-09-11 22:31:41
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Here's a v3 that gets rid of guc_hooks.c in favor of moving the
hook functions to related modules (though some did end up in
variables.c for lack of a better idea). I also pushed all the
hook function declarations to guc_hooks.h. Unsurprisingly,
removal of guc.h #includes from header files led to discovery
of some surprising indirect dependencies, notably a lot of places
were evidently depending on indirect inclusions of array.h.

I think this is code-complete at this point. I'd like to not
sit on it too long, because it'll inevitably get side-swiped
by additions of new GUCs. On the other hand, pushing it in
the middle of a CF would presumably break other people's patches.
Maybe push it at the end of this CF, to give people a month to
rebase anything that's affected?

regards, tom lane

Attachment Content-Type Size
split-up-guc-code-3.patch.gz application/x-gzip 92.2 KB