Re: timestamp with time zone output incorrect

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>
Cc: Steve Martin <steve(dot)martin(at)nec(dot)co(dot)nz>, pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timestamp with time zone output incorrect
Date: 2008-04-26 17:18:54
Lists: pgsql-general

> On Thu, Apr 24, 2008 at 06:30:27PM +1200, Steve Martin wrote:
>> => show timezone ;
>> TimeZone
>> -------------
>> NZST-12NZDT
>> (1 row)

> I have no idea what timezone that it. Presumably it switches between
> daylight savings and non-daylight savings based on the US rules?

Yeah, that's a POSIX zone spec. See

http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.3/static/datatype-datetime.html#DATATYPE-TIMEZONES

As noted there, if the OP really really wants to spell his zone name
that way, he could fool with the "posixrules" file in the timezone
database. But Pacific/Auckland is probably better. (I don't remember
whether 8.1 would honor changes in "posixrules".)