Re: superusers are members of all roles?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>
Cc: Christian Ullrich <chris(at)chrullrich(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: superusers are members of all roles?
Date: 2011-04-07 15:01:19
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> I thought about that. What I'd like to know is how many people actually
> want and use and expect the current behaviour. If it's more than a
> handful (which I seriously doubt) then that's probably the way to go.
> Otherwise it seems more trouble than it's worth.

Well, the point here is that "is_member_of" is currently considered
to be a kind of privilege test, and of course superusers should
automatically pass every privilege test. If you want it to not act
that way in some circumstances, we need a fairly clear theory as to
which circumstances it should act which way in.