Re: Documentation tweaks: ALTER USER, statement-based middleware

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Greg Smith <greg(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Documentation tweaks: ALTER USER, statement-based middleware
Date: 2011-05-02 16:47:01
Lists: pgsql-docs

Excerpts from Greg Smith's message of sáb abr 30 00:46:28 -0300 2011:
> Two small patches attached, based on recent documentation comments
> suggested on the web site.
>
> First alters a few places that ALTER USER is suggested, mainly in the
> context of changing per-user settings. If you're reading the HTML
> documentation, and you click on ALTER USER, it takes you to a slim page
> that tells you what you really wanted was ALTER ROLE. That's kind of
> wasteful, and thus the idea to go directly there. Original doc
> suggestion from Grzegorz Szpetkowski, I found a few more places to tweak
> when assembling the patch.

I applied this bit. I am unsure about the CREATE USER mentions that
appear just before each ALTER USER spot that got modified; should those
be updated to CREATE ROLE as well? The only difference is that CREATE
USER adds the LOGIN privileges automatically, but the CREATE USER as as
skinny as ALTER USER. Thoughts?