Re: WIP patch: reducing overhead for repeat de-TOASTing

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
Cc: Mark Cave-Ayland <mark(dot)cave-ayland(at)siriusit(dot)co(dot)uk>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: WIP patch: reducing overhead for repeat de-TOASTing
Date: 2008-07-02 16:52:47
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> Tom Lane wrote:
>> It would be simple enough to fix nodeSubplan.c to copy the data into
>> an upper-level Slot rather than a bare tuple. But this makes me wonder
>> how many other places are like this. In the past there wasn't that much
>> benefit to pulling data from a Slot instead of a bare tuple, so I'm
>> afraid we might have a number of similar gotchas we'd have to track
>> down.

> I compare this to adding CHECK_FOR_INTERRUPTS(): let's declare that
> every usage of bare tuples is a not-very-serious bug, and we can fix
> them one by one as we come across them.

Unfortunately we can't usefully have such a rule --- consider sorting
for example. We're not going to change over to using TupleTableSlots
as the items being sorted. What I foresee if we go down this path
is that there will be some places where we can fix toasting performance
problems by inserting a Slot, and some where we can't.