Re: Default compression level for custom format in pg_dump ?

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Grzegorz Szpetkowski <gszpetkowski(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-docs <pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Default compression level for custom format in pg_dump ?
Date: 2011-04-18 16:46:06
Lists: pgsql-docs

Excerpts from Grzegorz Szpetkowski's message of dom abr 17 21:26:02 -0300 2011:

> Then "it goes to" zlib library. According to http://www.zlib.net/manual.html:
>
> "The compression level must be Z_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION, or between 0 and
> 9: 1 gives best speed, 9 gives best compression, 0 gives no
> compression at all (the input data is simply copied a block at a
> time). Z_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION requests a default compromise between
> speed and compression (currently equivalent to level 6)."
>
> #define Z_DEFAULT_COMPRESSION (-1) (zlib.h)
>
> What do you think about adding some clarification in PostgreSQL doc ?

Can this behavior be tuned externally? Say by an environment var or
something. If it can, then maybe it's worth documenting it a bit more
fully (including the tuning option). Otherwise I think the current docs
are enough.