Re: .ini support for .pgpass

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: jd(at)commandprompt(dot)com
Cc: Aidan Van Dyk <aidan(at)highrise(dot)ca>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: .ini support for .pgpass
Date: 2011-04-06 04:47:00
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On tis, 2011-04-05 at 16:04 -0700, Joshua D. Drake wrote:
> Well any libpq app but yes. I actually wonder as to the legitmacy of
> having both a pgpass and a pg_service. Why not just one of them?

So you can keep passwords in a safer place (= less permissions) than the
rest of the connection information.

Note also that .pgpass is a mapping from connection information to
password, whereas pg_service.conf is a mapping from service name to
connection information. So they operate on different levels.

It's not actually clear from your syntax example what semantics you are
trying to achieve.