Re: [HACKERS] Uppercase SGML entity declarations

From: Peter Eisentraut <peter_e(at)gmx(dot)net>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Christopher Browne <cbbrowne(at)gmail(dot)com>, Susanne Ebrecht <susanne(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>, Gabriele Bartolini <gabriele(dot)bartolini(at)2ndquadrant(dot)it>, pgsql-docs(at)postgresql(dot)org, PostgreSQL-development <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: [HACKERS] Uppercase SGML entity declarations
Date: 2011-04-05 18:18:04
Lists: pgsql-docs pgsql-hackers

On mån, 2011-04-04 at 15:02 -0400, Robert Haas wrote:
> AFAICT, the biggest problem with our existing toolchain is that it's
> hard for some people to get it working. In theory, we have
> documentation that explains this:
>
> http://www.postgresql.org/docs/current/static/docguide-toolsets.html
>
> However, in contrast to the vast majority of our documentation, it
> stinks.

Umm, if you look under "Debian Packages", there is a one-line command to
execute, which, as far as I can tell, is pretty much guaranteed to get
you going. If that doesn't apply to the OS you are working, then either

a) You haven't contributed better installation documentation, or

b) The makers of your OS haven't bothered to package it properly.

No other toolchain will make that principle easier.