Re: MERGE Specification

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Decibel! <decibel(at)decibel(dot)org>, Martijn van Oosterhout <kleptog(at)svana(dot)org>, Gregory Stark <stark(at)enterprisedb(dot)com>, Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, "A(dot)M(dot)" <agentm(at)themactionfaction(dot)com>
Subject: Re: MERGE Specification
Date: 2008-04-25 03:40:22
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Robert Treat <xzilla(at)users(dot)sourceforge(dot)net> writes:
> Perhaps a better option would be to implement Merge per spec, and then
> implement a "replace into" command for the oltp scenario. This way you keep
> the spec behavior for the spec syntax, and have a clearly non-spec command
> for non-spec behavior.

In that case, it's a fair question to ask just who will use the "spec"
syntax. As far as I can tell from years of watching the mailing lists,
there is plenty of demand for a concurrent-safe insert-or-update
behavior, and *exactly zero* demand for the other. I challenge you to
find even one request for the "spec" behavior in the mailing list
archives. (Simon doesn't count.)

I recently came across the expression "YAGNI", and think it's probably
pretty relevant to this discussion:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_Ain't_Gonna_Need_It