ExecEvalVar does not have appropriate ExprState?

From: Vaibhav Kaushal <vaibhavkaushal123(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: ExecEvalVar does not have appropriate ExprState?
Date: 2011-03-28 07:02:15
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Hi,

I see the ExecInitExpr says something like this:
------------
case T_Var:
state = (ExprState *) makeNode(ExprState);
state->evalfunc = ExecEvalVar;
---------------

But the ExecEvalVar function definition says:

------------------------
Var *variable = (Var *) exprstate->expr;
TupleTableSlot *slot;
AttrNumber attnum;

if (isDone)
*isDone = ExprSingleResult;

/* Get the input slot and attribute number we want */
switch (variable->varno)
{
case INNER: /* get the tuple from the inner node */
-------------------------

Since ExprState -> expr in its final form would finally contain only:

NodeTag type;

I think that the pointer being cast in the ExecEvalVar is actually
already a form of Var which is passed around as Expr for sake of
function call.

So, was the node in the Expr tree for the corresponding ExprState node
of the ExprState tree actually a 'Var'? I think without this being the
reality, the function ExecEvalVar would crash! In my belief, the similar
fact would stand for a few other nodes, notably Const, Param,
CoerceToDomain and CaseTest.

Also, I have tried, but failed to fidn the exact place where the Expr
tree is created. Just pointing me to the file / function which does this
would be of great help.

Kindly correct me if I am wrong.

Regards,
Vaibhav