ERROR: could not access status of transaction

From: Stevie <stevieg(at)web(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: ERROR: could not access status of transaction
Date: 2011-03-24 12:39:22
Lists: pgsql-admin

Hello pgsql-admins,

we have a problem with our Postgresql 9.0.3 backup database (Ubuntu
10.4).
The backup and restore is done as described here:
http://www.postgresql.org/docs/9.0/static/continuous-archiving.html
If you want to know the exact steps of backup and restore,please ask.

We restore the database on the backup host and it's starting. I've
append the mainlog.

If we dump or reindex the database we get "could not access status of
transaction NNNNNN" errors.
PG tries to access old clog files: "pg_clog/00CD". But in the pg_clog
directory the files start at "00E6" and end at "0198".
I've append the pg_controldata output. This clog files doesn't exist on
the original database neither.

I could create empty clog files, but it seems that our database is in an
inconsistent state?
Any suggestions are welcome.

Regards
Steffen

Attachment Content-Type Size
pg_controldata.txt text/plain 1.6 KB
postgresql-9.0-main.log text/x-log 10.3 KB