Hot-standby/Reporting database.

From: John P Weatherman <jweatherman91(at)alumni(dot)wfu(dot)edu>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Hot-standby/Reporting database.
Date: 2011-03-18 21:25:44
Lists: pgsql-admin

All,

I have recently upgraded to Postgres9 and am building a hot standby for
reporting. Unfortunately, my end users are providing requirements for
1) real time data replication (which the hot standby does) and 2) the
ability to create temporary tables as part of their reporting jobs
(which is expressly prohibited in a hot standby.

Has anyone run into this already and have an idea for a work around? I
am primarily an Oracle guy and in that environment I would set up a
second DB with database links to the hot standby, then they could
connect somewhere they could create tables and use the links to pull the
real time data...keeping them away from production with ad hoc code.
I'm not sure if there is any way to do that with postgres.

Thanks,

John

John P Weatherman
Sr DBA