Accessing dead rows within postgresql

From: aaronenabs <aaronenabs(at)btconnect(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Accessing dead rows within postgresql
Date: 2011-03-16 18:19:38
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hi there,

My name is Aaron and i am new to this forum.
I am after a couple of things but would like to take it step by step.
Firstly i have never used PostgreSQL which complicates matters, i have
been assigned a project which involves me investigating the deletion process
within PostgreSQL.

I would like to ask how do i work around this, Basically from my research i
have found out that PostgreSQL does not securely delete data from its
tables, rows, columns or database. Instead it is deleted from the user
interface and kept hidden from the user till it is overwritten by bigger
bytes of data.

What i would like to achieve or do is to delete data and locate it using the
source code or any other means as when data is deleted it still remains in
parts of the DBMS.

I have been looking through the expriement papers and it says thatPostgreSql
keeps 100% of its expired records in the DB-slack (database slack) and its
trend line is superimposed on that of the expired record.

I guess what am trying to do is to input a couple of records delete this
records and try to get into the db-slack before carrying out a vacuum to see
if i can retrieve the deleted data.

Please if anyone knows or understands what am talking please can you advise
on how i can achieve this. I have not installed any version of PostgreSQL so
does not really matter which version i would use till i get a way to carry
out this investigation process.

Cheers
Aaron