Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove -w (--ignore-all-space) option from pg_regress's diff

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Remove -w (--ignore-all-space) option from pg_regress's diff
Date: 2009-11-23 14:23:47
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

> On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 06:58, Andrew Dunstan <andrew(at)dunslane(dot)net> wrote:
>> They might not be using the same CVS programs, though. It appears that
>> Windows CVS (which, for example, red_bat uses) translates line endings to
>> CRLF, which is why it passed the regression tests, but MinGW CVS does not,
>> which I think is is why narwahl and vaquita failed and why dawn_bat will
>> probably fail next go round. brown_bat is on Cygwin and we should not expect
>> a change there.

> Yeah, I've seen a lot of weirdness with CVS clients on Windows doing
> that differently, so that also seems like a very likely reason.

brown_bat is indeed still green, so Andrew's probably fingered the right
component. I thought for a moment about insisting that Windows
buildfarm members use a non-translating CVS client, but that would still
leave people vulnerable when trying to build from source, if they use a
tarball extractor that converts newlines.

I'm thinking that the most appropriate fix is to have pg_regress
continue to use -w, but only on Windows. (I notice that ecpg is already
doing it that way, presumably for the same reason of newline
differences.) A filter such as Andrew mumbled about upthread seems like
more trouble than the problem is worth. Any actually-interesting
whitespace changes should get caught on other platforms.