O_DIRECT in freebsd

From: "Christopher Kings-Lynne" <chriskl(at)familyhealth(dot)com(dot)au>
To: "Hackers" <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: O_DIRECT in freebsd
Date: 2003-06-17 06:21:11
Lists: pgsql-hackers

I noticed this in the FreeBSD 5.1 release notes:

"A new DIRECTIO kernel option enables support for read operations that
bypass the buffer cache and put data directly into a userland buffer. This
feature requires that the O_DIRECT flag is set on the file descriptor and
that both the offset and length for the read operation are multiples of the
physical media sector size. [MERGED]"

MERGED means that it should also appear in FreeBSD 4.9.

Will PostgreSQL pick this up automatically, or do we need to add extra
checks?

Chris