simple test code

From: java4dev <java4dev(at)gmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: simple test code
Date: 2011-02-22 17:24:09
Lists: pgsql-novice

Hello,

new to Postgresql and have a problem.
I have been using Oracle and MySQL up to now and I was thinking to give
PostgreSQL a try.

I have opened a SQL console from the pgAdmin tool and tried to run the
following

DECLARE
time1 TIMESTAMP (3);
time2 TIMESTAMP(3);
diff INTERVAL;
BEGIN
time1 := now();
diff := INTERVAL '30' second;
time2 := time1 + diff;
SELECT time1, time2;
END;

but I get an error that I cannot interpret

ERROR: syntax error at or near "TIMESTAMP"
LINE 3: time1 TIMESTAMP (3);
^

********** Error **********

ERROR: syntax error at or near "TIMESTAMP"
SQL state: 42601
Character: 17

I also tryed to add a label in the beginning

<<test>>
DECLARE
time1 TIMESTAMP (3);
time2 TIMESTAMP(3);