Re: RFC: Hosting mailing lists of 3rd party projects

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Devrim GÜNDÜZ <devrim(at)gunduz(dot)org>
Cc: PostgreSQL - WWW ML <pgsql-www(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Date: 2011-02-22 16:32:07
Lists: pgsql-www

Excerpts from Devrim GÜNDÜZ's message of lun feb 21 16:11:32 -0300 2011:

> Over the last few years, postgresql.org only hosted pgsql-* and pgadmin*
> mailing lists. A few weeks before, we added psycopg2, too, because the
> project needed a mailing list (since their machine died and data was not
> recovered).
>
> Before we add more, I think we need to define a policy for hosting
> mailing lists of 3rd party projects.

So what policy do you propose?

I would suggest the following:

1 Use common sense to determine whether a project belongs into the
postgresql.org list infrastructure. Strong majority is needed to
accept a project.

2 Projects already on pgfoundry do not apply.

3 Lists for anything other than PostgreSQL core need to be categorized
under "project lists" (not "user lists"). If some project has too many
lists, a new category may be needed.

Thus, under rule (3) above, I think we should move pgsql-jdbc and
pgsql-odbc from "user lists" to "project lists". (Not a big deal --
they just change group under which they are listed, in the
archives.pg.org pages).