Find out encoding of data

From: joynes <joynes(at)hotmail(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Find out encoding of data
Date: 2007-10-01 16:56:28
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi!
I have this problem that Im not sure if my stored data has the correct
coding. When I view the data from a postgres console I just see the
characters and depending on my console-encoding it looks differently.

What I really want to see is the hexadecimal or octal value of the bytes of
the retrieved data. Can postgres give me this somehow (without exporting
tables to files and look at the files).

/br joynes