Re: Snapshot synchronization, again...

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Joachim Wieland <joe(at)mcknight(dot)de>
Cc: Noah Misch <noah(at)leadboat(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Snapshot synchronization, again...
Date: 2011-02-21 15:56:36
Lists: pgsql-hackers

A couple more questions:

What's the reason for this restriction?
if (databaseId != MyDatabaseId)
ereport(ERROR,
(errcode(ERRCODE_INVALID_PARAMETER_VALUE),
errmsg("cannot import snapshot from a different database")));

Why are we using bytea as the output format instead of text? The output
is just plain text anyway, as can be seen by setting bytea_output to
'escape'. Perhaps there would be a value to using bytea if we were to
pglz_compress the result, but would there be a point in doing so?
Normally exported info should be short enough that it would cause more
overhead than it would save anyway.