Re: How to give security to pg_catalogs

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: raghavendra t <raagavendra(dot)rao(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: How to give security to pg_catalogs
Date: 2010-03-29 14:52:20
Lists: pgsql-general

raghavendra t <raagavendra(dot)rao(at)gmail(dot)com> writes:
> How to give security to the pg_catalogs, as these are freely alterable and
> cause some security problem. Here i mean to say, as a superuser we can
> delete the rows from a catalogs are alter the catalogs, is there anyway to
> put restriction or any promting before doing anything to catalogs.
> Any suggestions for this ?

Don't give superuser privileges to anyone who's dumb enough to try such
things on a production database.

This is much like the fact that, say, root can trivially destroy any
Unix filesystem. You could imagine trying to put enough training wheels
on superuserdom to prevent such things, but it's not really practical
and any attempt would get in the way of many legitimate uses.