Re: Time for 7.2.1?

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Thomas Lockhart <thomas(at)fourpalms(dot)org>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgreSQL(dot)org
Subject: Re: Time for 7.2.1?
Date: 2002-03-15 19:44:33
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Thomas Lockhart <thomas(at)fourpalms(dot)org> writes:
> It is somewhat complicated by the fact that my code tree is pretty
> massively changed in this area as I implement an int64-based date/time
> storage alternative to the float64 scheme we use now. The alternative
> would be enabled with something like #ifdef HAVE_INT64_TIMESTAMP.
> Benefits would include having a predictable precision behavior for all
> allowed dates and times.

Interesting. But if this is just an #ifdef, I can see some serious
problems coming up the first time someone runs a backend compiled with
one set of timestamp code in a database created with the other. May
I suggest that the timestamp representation be identified in a field
added to pg_control? That's how we deal with other options that
affect database contents ...