Re: LC_COLLATE and pg_upgrade

From: Bernhard Schrader <bernhard(dot)schrader(at)innogames(dot)de>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: LC_COLLATE and pg_upgrade
Date: 2011-02-14 13:18:13
Lists: pgsql-admin

Am Donnerstag, den 10.02.2011, 17:56 +0100 schrieb Bernhard Schrader:
> Hi all,
>
> I just tried to pg_upgrade a PostgreSQL-8.4 to 9.0.
>
> pg_upgrade stopped with this message:
>
> "old and new cluster lc_collate values do not match"
>
> So i checked the LC_COLLATE on 8.4 and 9.0:
>
> 8.4:
> postgres=# show lc_collate;
> lc_collate
> ------------
> en_US.utf8
> (1 row)
>
> 9.0:
> postgres=# show lc_collate;
> lc_collate
> ------------
> en_US.UTF-8
> (1 row)
>

> Well... I think you see my problem, i don't even know if it is really a
> problem...
>
> Is it possible just to change the lc_collate on the 8.4 machine?
> Obviously its the same encoding, or am i wrong?
>
> My second Question, but not that urgent is about two databases which
> have LC_COLLATE=C, is there a safe way to get it to UTF-8?
>
> regards
> Bernhard

Doesn't anyone know if I could override this settings?
LC_COLLATE should be interesting for sort order, and while both is utf8,
it should work or am I totally wrong?

As far as I read right now, LC_COLLATE is a read_only variable which is
used while initdb. But why does the pg_upgrade script doesn't see that
utf8 and UTF-8 are the same? Is it just a string compare?

greetz
Bernhard