Re: postponing some large patches to 9.2

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: Robert Haas <robertmhaas(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: Chris Browne <cbbrowne(at)acm(dot)org>, pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: postponing some large patches to 9.2
Date: 2011-02-08 19:02:39
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Mon, 2011-02-07 at 22:37 -0500, Robert Haas wrote:
> - Range Types. This is a large patch which was submitted for the
> first time to the last CommitFest of the cycle, and the first version
> that had no open TODO items was posted yesterday, three-quarters of
> the way through that last CommitFest. Some good review has been done.
> While more is probably needed, I think we should feel good about
> what's been accomplished and mark this one Returned with Feedback.

I submitted this clearly marked WIP, so I expected that it would likely
be pushed to 9.2.

However, I don't feel like I have the kind of feedback that will help me
get it committed next commitfest. I did get some review, and that was
helpful, but it was mostly on isolated details.

The patch is a million little decisions: names, catalog structure,
interface, representation, general usability, grammar, functionality,
etc. Without some checkpoint, the chances that everyone agrees with all
of these decisions at the beginning of the next commitfest is zero.

Is the commitfest not the right place to do this? If not, then when?

Regards,
Jeff Davis