Re: Segfault when restoring -Fd dump on current HEAD

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Andres Freund <andres(at)anarazel(dot)de>
Cc: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)2ndquadrant(dot)com>, Dmitry Dolgov <9erthalion6(at)gmail(dot)com>, Michael Paquier <michael(at)paquier(dot)xyz>, Justin Pryzby <pryzby(at)telsasoft(dot)com>, Hubert Lubaczewski <depesz(at)depesz(dot)com>, pgsql-hackers mailing list <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Segfault when restoring -Fd dump on current HEAD
Date: 2019-03-04 18:25:40
Lists: pgsql-hackers

> One thing I want to bring up here rather than in the pluggable storage
> thread is that currently the pg_dump support for access methods deals
> with table access methods in a manner similar to the way we deal with
> tablespaces. Instead of specifying the AM on every table creation, we
> set the default AM when needed. That makes it easier to adjust dumps.

Hm. I wonder if it'd make more sense to consider that an access method is
a property of a tablespace? That is, all tables in a tablespace have the
same access method, so you don't need to label tables individually?

> But it does basically require breaking archive compatibility. I
> personally am OK with that, but I thought it might be worth discussing.

I don't recall there being huge pushback when we did that in the past,
so I'm fine with it as long as there's an identifiable feature making
it necessary.