Re: First version of multi-key index support for GiST

From: Tom Lane <tgl(at)sss(dot)pgh(dot)pa(dot)us>
To: Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: First version of multi-key index support for GiST
Date: 2001-05-31 18:35:24
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Oleg Bartunov <oleg(at)sai(dot)msu(dot)su> writes:
> We have implemented multi-key index support for GiST. Patch is available
> from http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/postgres/gist/code/7.1.2/patch_multikeygist.7.1.2.gz

I have committed these changes, along with your leak patch of 5/30.

> 1. initdb is required. But, it's possible just to execute update
> update pg_am set amstrategies = 12 where amname = 'gist';

No initdb is needed --- I fixed the code instead ;-)

> 2. You have to recompile all gist_*_ops functions

I bit the bullet and fixed all the places that were using "char*" where
they should have been using "Datum". This doesn't completely free GIST
from datatype assumptions: it still assumes that all datatypes it deals
with will be pass-by-reference. But it's a step forward. This means
not only a recompile but code changes for any user-supplied GIST ops.
I applied the appropriate changes to everything that's in contrib
(including your new RTREE emulation code).