Re: SSI and Hot Standby

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Kevin Grittner <Kevin(dot)Grittner(at)wicourts(dot)gov>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org, Dan Ports <drkp(at)csail(dot)mit(dot)edu>
Subject: Re: SSI and Hot Standby
Date: 2011-01-20 23:11:30
Lists: pgsql-hackers

On Wed, 2011-01-19 at 19:05 -0600, Kevin Grittner wrote:

> The idea is that whenever we see a valid snapshot which would yield
> a truly serializable view of the data for a READ ONLY transaction,
> we add a WAL record with that snapshot information.

You haven't explained why this approach is the way forwards. What other
options have been ruled out, and why. The above approach doesn't sound
particularly viable to me.

It's not clear to me what the reason is that this doesn't just work on
HS already. If you started there it might help.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/