How can I find the schema that a table belongs to?

From: Jerry LeVan <jerry(dot)levan(at)mac(dot)com>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: How can I find the schema that a table belongs to?
Date: 2011-01-19 16:26:13
Lists: pgsql-general

Hi,

I am trying to tidy up my perl script that runs as a cgi and allows
remote users (aka me) to interact with my Pg database.

I primarily want to use this tool as a way for my iPad to
browse my data base. It seems to be working quite well but
one certainly does not want to 'select * from ginormous_table'.

I am trying to build a 'describe' function. ie if the user
types "describe tablename" in the sql box I want to display
some interesting attributes for that table, mainly names and
data types for each of the columns.

I have done this in other programs but I forced the user
to specify a schema qualified name ( and mimiced what psql -E
did).

So I guess the question is:
Given a bare table name, how can I recover the schema
qualified name with whatever the current search path happens
to be?

This task has to be done using simple sql from the perl dbi.

Thanks,

Jerry