Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Log replication connections only when log_connections is on

From: Simon Riggs <simon(at)2ndQuadrant(dot)com>
To: Magnus Hagander <magnus(at)hagander(dot)net>
Cc: pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: [COMMITTERS] pgsql: Log replication connections only when log_connections is on
Date: 2011-01-19 12:36:05
Lists: pgsql-committers pgsql-hackers

On Tue, 2011-01-18 at 19:04 +0000, Magnus Hagander wrote:
> Log replication connections only when log_connections is on
>
> Previously we'd always log replication connections, with no
> way to turn them off.

You noted that the code was there intentionally, yet you also couldn't
see the reason. That is not a great reason to change it. It's especially
not a great reason to make the change quickly.

The log entry served a very specific purpose, which was helping people
to diagnose problems with replication connectivity. It isn't practical
or sensible to force people to use log_connections to help with that;
that is a sledgehammer to crack a nut. Few people have it turned on in
production, so turning it on after a problem happened doesn't help
diagnose things.

The negative impact of this was a couple of log lines. No bug. Plus I
don't see any reason to introduce an incompatibility with the log output
from 9.0.

So removing this has almost no positive benefit, yet a clear negative
one. We need to look at the negative aspects of changes before we make
them.

Let's concentrate on adding the major features, not rush through loads
of minor changes.

--
Simon Riggs http://www.2ndQuadrant.com/books/