Re: BUG #5809: bigserial duplicate value

From: Jeff Davis <pgsql(at)j-davis(dot)com>
To: mahmoud elzaiady <melzaiady(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk>
Cc: pgsql-bugs(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: BUG #5809: bigserial duplicate value
Date: 2011-01-03 19:04:17
Lists: pgsql-bugs

On Sun, 2011-01-02 at 11:40 +0000, mahmoud elzaiady wrote:

> Bug reference: 5809
> Logged by: mahmoud elzaiady
> Email address: melzaiady(at)yahoo(dot)co(dot)uk
> PostgreSQL version: 8.4
> Operating system: windows xp
> Details:
>
> I have problem today
> i have table and colum type bigserial
> and insert data automatic number
> but i found the value duplicate
> i ask ,bigserial must not duplicate the value ?
> how solve this problem

This is probably due to the sequence being reset somehow. Have you
dumped/reloaded recently? Did you manually back up or copy the table?

What is the exact error message that you see? If it tells you the
duplicated value, is it very old, perhaps 1 (indicating a reset of the
sequence)?

Note that, by "reset", I do not mean "overflow". I mean that the
sequence might have been recreated somehow.

Try to provide more detail in your bug report. See:
http://wiki.postgresql.org/wiki/Guide_to_reporting_problems

Regards,
Jeff Davis