Data duplication when moving datafiles from one server to another.

From: Iñigo Martinez Lasala <imartinez(at)vectorsf(dot)com>
To: pgsql-admin(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Data duplication when moving datafiles from one server to another.
Date: 2010-12-20 19:22:40
Lists: pgsql-admin

Good evening.

Yesterday we experienced some data duplication in several database
tables after one sysadmin decided to test in a production environment an
rsync script in order to migrate a database from one server to another
one.
Postgresql (8.2) was running in source server and rsync script was
launched from second one. Second one server had a one day old copy of
the same database. Rsync script create a datafile replica in destination
server.
Our sysadmin swear he didn't launch the script in a reverse way (that
is, from destination to source)... so my question is
How this data duplication could happen? Due to an rsync lock in
checkpoint segment or transaction logs? Or he has mistaken source with
destination server?

Thans in advance.