Re: Searching array fields - or should I redesign?

From: Vincent Veyron <vv(dot)lists(at)wanadoo(dot)fr>
To: Bryan Montgomery <monty(at)english(dot)net>
Cc: "pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Searching array fields - or should I redesign?
Date: 2010-12-16 23:52:42
Lists: pgsql-general

Le jeudi 16 décembre 2010 à 15:18 -0500, Bryan Montgomery a écrit :
> Thanks for the comments. Just to clarify, I gave these two values as
> examples. The readings could be between a handful for one vehicle type
> up to 40 or more for another type of vehicle.

Not sure what you call a reading? do you mean like a parameter? if so
give it its own column with an appropriate type. Your table would then
have 40 columns, some of them being empty for some type of vehicle.

If a reading really is a record, then you want a subclass, with a
foreign key referencing the primary key of your vehicle table. You can
then have un unlimited number of records (again, each record having a
column for each of the parameters/characteristics measured) .

--
Vincent Veyron
http://marica.fr/