Re: timestamp with time zone tutorial

From: Dennis Gearon <gearond(at)sbcglobal(dot)net>
To: pgsql-general(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: Re: timestamp with time zone tutorial
Date: 2009-07-20 02:43:20
Lists: pgsql-general

Good Idea Adrian!
What I want is to be able to insert into my project's database, times given by anybody anywhere on the planet (the SUBMITTER), add the appropriate timezone in the insert statement so that it in 'GMT/UMT' neutral'. I believe this is the way Postgres does it, storing times in GMT time.

When I pull it out for anyone on the planet (for the QUERRIER), by their geographic location or address, I give the SELECT statement the timezone value of the QUERRIER and adjust it to the location of the QUERRIER also supplying them the time in the geographical location of the SUBMITTER.

> From: Adrian Klaver <aklaver(at)comcast(dot)net>
<snip>