Re: Patch BUG #5103: "pg_ctl -w (re)start" fails with custom unix_socket_directory

From: Alvaro Herrera <alvherre(at)commandprompt(dot)com>
To: Quan Zongliang <quanzongliang(at)gmail(dot)com>
Cc: pgsql-hackers <pgsql-hackers(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Re: Patch BUG #5103: "pg_ctl -w (re)start" fails with custom unix_socket_directory
Date: 2010-11-29 13:29:17
Lists: pgsql-hackers

Excerpts from Quan Zongliang's message of sáb nov 27 06:03:12 -0300 2010:
> Hi, all
>
> I created a pg_ctl patch to fix:
> * BUG #5103: "pg_ctl -w (re)start" fails with custom unix_socket_directory
> Allow pg_ctl to work properly with configuration files located outside the PGDATA directory

I think the way this should work is that you call postmaster with a new
switch and it prints out its configuration, after reading the
appropriate config file(s). That way it handles all the little details
such as figuring out the correct config file, hadle include files, etc.
This output would be presumably easier to parse and more trustworthy.

Right now we have --describe-config, which is missing the values for
each config option.