orphaned runaway queries after killing pgadmin

From: "Dan Halbert" <halbert(at)halwitz(dot)org>
To: pgadmin-support(at)postgresql(dot)org
Subject: orphaned runaway queries after killing pgadmin
Date: 2010-11-15 20:10:56
Lists: pgadmin-support

Today I end up killing pgadmin a few times while inadvertantly running some huge queries and some ALTER requests that were blocked due to the queries. I should have canceled the queries from pgadmin, but I didn't. When I saw that the postgres processes were using up 100% of the CPU, I looked up the process id's of the ALTERs and runaway queries in pg_stat_activity and did the equivalent of "pg_ctl kill".

I don't think this is really pgadmin's fault, but why doesn't PostgreSQL notice that the query requestor has vanished and quit working on the query? Apologies if you think I should ask this on a general PG list.

Thanks,
Dan