Reasons for creating linking tables?

From: Machiel Richards <machielr(at)rdc(dot)co(dot)za>
To: "pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org" <pgsql-novice(at)postgresql(dot)org>
Subject: Reasons for creating linking tables?
Date: 2010-11-15 12:11:12
Lists: pgsql-novice

Good day all

I would like to get the point of view from you guys out there who
has had a lot of database experience.

While busy looking into a database that have a lot of issues I have
found the following scenario :

- Let's call the 3 tables in question tables a,b & c.
- Currently table a has got a FK referencing table b
- table b contains only 1 field called id which is the PK and
also a FK referencing table c
- table c is once again a table with a couple of fields.

My question on this is, why create the linking table?

Surely the linking table can be removed and the data referenced
directly between tables a & c?

Is there a specific reason why this would need to be done?

Regards
Machiel